LimeCulture’s dedicated Sport Unit has a fantastic reputation in supporting sport practitioners, Clubs and National and International Governing Bodies to transform their safeguarding provision through our innovative training and development opportunities, case management services, expert consultancy services and independent reviews.
LimeCulture has a strong team of safeguarding professionals with experience in a wide range of strategic and operational roles in sport and are able to provide practical solutions to the challenges of safeguarding in sport.
Lead Safeguarding Officer in Sport Development Programme
LimeCulture CIC supported by Sport England are excited to launch the Lead Safeguarding Officer in Sport Development Programme. Driven by the need to professionalise the response to safeguarding in sport, this comprehensive innovative training programme has been written in consultation with sporting organisations, the Sport England Advisory Panel, leading sector experts and academics.
The programme will support Lead Officers to develop a strategic and holistic response to safeguarding, whilst embedding the values and principles of safeguarding into the culture, environment and operations within their respective sports.
It is recognised we all have our part to play in making our sports safer for children and adults, to ensure future participation and achievement. The programme will equip Lead Officers with the required skills and expertise to provide a consistent, robust and proactive response to safeguarding in sport. The programme will focus on safeguarding in the context of both prevention and response.
We have seen how vital sport is to children and adults to maintain physical and mental good health, but we have also seen the extensive harm done to children, adults, families, and sporting organisations when abuse in sport occurs. The programme will consider inclusivity and the human rights agenda, considering lessons learnt and how to implement positive change throughout an organisation. Move your organisational approach forward towards safer outcomes in sport.
Aim of the programme
The aim of the Lead Safeguarding Officer Development Programme is to provide in depth knowledge and understanding of the Lead Safeguarding Officer role. The course will equip professionals with the required skills and expertise to provide a consistent, robust and proactive response to safeguarding in sport. The programme will focus on safeguarding in the context of both prevention and response, looking across sporting culture, organisation and environment.
How long will the programme last?
This comprehensive course consists of six modules delivered over a period of six months. Each module will take place on 2 consecutive days of teaching with a written assessment at the end of each module. Delegates must complete all modules and pass each assessment in order to be independently accredited.
Key areas of learning
The Lead Safeguarding Officer Development Programme will cover the following key areas:
- Principles of safeguarding, the context of the Lead Safeguarding Officer role, external and internal structures in sport and how these impact safeguarding within organisations.
- Developing a strategic response framework, identifying organisational values and how these align with safeguarding priorities, creating a safer culture in sport, understanding how safeguarding fits within a governance structure and recognising workforce training requirements.
- Considering a risk framework, understanding risk assessment and how to manage risk. Understanding how risk impacts on the individual, the organisation and wider stakeholders.
- The impact of abuse on individuals, developing strategies to enable a listening culture within sport, breaking down the barriers to disclosure, learning lessons from survivors and victims and considering cultural competency and inclusion.
- End to end case management including the referral process, interim protective action, risk assessment and risk management, knowledge of perpetrator abuse and supporting those who have made disclosures.
- Understanding the investigation process, overseeing and directing an investigation, considering evidential thresholds and role of the Lead Safeguarding Officer in multi-agency working.
- be the Lead Safeguarding Officer or hold a senior role in safeguarding within their sporting organisation.
- have previously completed introductory safeguarding training delivered by CPSU/ACT or equivalent.
Places cost £2,500 plus VAT. This includes all 12 teaching days, and 6 assessments. Learners will receive an accredited qualification
The Training Programme will be independently accredited by NCFE, delivered by LimeCulture CIC – Training Provider Partners of CIMPSA.
The Open University is currently considering offering a post graduate certificate, diploma and masters degree in Safeguarding in Sport and consideration is being given to the Safeguarding Lead Officer Development Programme being transferable as credits towards these further qualifications.
The next cohort will begin in September 2021 and will take place via an online platform due to the current concerns and uncertainty regarding Covid-19 .
Dates for the programme are 15/16 September, 13/14 October, 10/11 November, 8/9 December, 12/13 January 2022, 9/10 February 2022 inclusive.
To book online click here
Embedding Safeguarding into Strategy – a workshop for Senior Leaders in Sport
This new and innovative short workshop will support CEO’s and other Senior Leaders to develop a culture of safeguarding in sport.
This will equip Senior Leaders with the skills to ensure their organization develops a strategic response to safeguarding.
The workshop identifies how Senior Leaders can embed safeguarding into business and risk planning processes.
This workshop complements the new Lead Safeguarding Officer in Sport Development Programme.
We are currently seeing Expressions of Interest (EOI) for this course. To submit an EOI please email firstname.lastname@example.org including Your Name, Role & Organisation with the Subject Header- Embedding Safeguarding into Strategy.
LimeCulture provides a range of training services designed especially for those working within sport, including:
Comprehensive Training Needs Analysis
- Includes the analysis of staff and volunteer performance reviews, focus groups with key stakeholders and the identification of required behaviours, skills and knowledge for each job role within the specific sport.
Workforce Development Plans
- Development of in-depth workforce training plans identifying key roles across the organisation and the level of training required for each role including training solutions and interventions. Plans are tailored specifically to the sport and the types of role required within sport including coaches, medical staff, stewards etc.
Design of specific training content and modules
- Development of training specific learning objectives in line with adult learning theories, course design including the use of recognised experiential learning cycles and learning styles. Training is designed using current legislation, best practice and guidance as well as input from our experienced sport safeguarding professionals.
Delivery of sport safeguarding training
- LimeCulture provides expert trainers to deliver safeguarding training specific to sport. Courses can be bespoke or standard packages. We deliver training to Boards/Trustees/Councils, Coaches, Support Staff, Administrators, Parents/Carers and Athletes.
- Example courses – Lead Safeguarding Training, Case Management, Investigations into Allegations in Sport, Supporting Survivors, Sexual Health for athletes, Sexual Consent for Athletes and many more…
Through a range of tailor-made consultancy services, we can work with you to deliver the required service or project that you want and need.
- LimeCulture can support sporting organisations by undertaking comprehensive reviews of their existing safeguarding provision. We analyse the organisational safeguarding culture, policies and procedures and safeguarding practices. Our reviews are bespoke to each sporting organisation and provide detailed recommendations to support the development of your safeguarding provision.
- LimeCulture can help sporting organisations with the management of abuse cases in sport, including allegations against staff. We work with expert investigators and case managers who can support you with current live case management or undertake a retrospective review of how a case was managed.
Policy and Procedure Development
- LimeCulture are able to support sporting organisations to review their current safeguarding policies and procedures. Our Team will help you ensure that your safeguarding policies and procedures are up to date with current with legislation, guidance and best practice.
- LimeCulture are able to support sporting organisations at events, whether these are small or large scale events. We can provide advice and guidance around how to execute a safe sport event. LimeCulture can help you to ensure your safeguarding lead is sufficiently skilled and the organisation has adequate safeguarding provisions in place, including safe searching procedures, how to manage lost children procedures, how to ensure safe athlete village usage and so forth.
LimeCulture is well placed to support sporting organisations by undertaking comprehensive reviews of organisational safeguarding provision. We analyse the organisational safeguarding culture, policies and procedures and safeguarding practices throughout an organisation (from Board level to volunteer input). Our reviews are bespoke to each sporting organisation and provide detailed recommendations to support the development of the organisation’s safeguarding provision.
Sport Case Studies
Premier League Football Club
LimeCulture was invited to undertake a strategic and operational safeguarding review for a Premier League Football Club. LimeCulture undertook a global review of this football Club’s operations, with the aim of supporting them to identify key strengths, gaps and recommendations to enhance their safeguarding provision. The LimeCulture team are experts in safeguarding, governance and sport management and were able to quickly identify key risk areas for the Premier League Club.
Staff at all levels within the organisation were consulted in interviews and focus groups to elicit the cultural approach to safeguarding, and to determine how policy and procedural practices are embedded within the club. Using our unique approach, we were able to identify key information to compile a comprehensive report with practical recommendations for improving and embedding safeguarding practice. The Premier League Club are now enacting the recommendations and making changes to practice to help grow their business operations and create an environment which helps keeps all children and young people safe.
International Olympic Event
LimeCulture supported a major sporting event with its safeguarding provision by identifying areas of risk and providing solutions to gaps in provision. LimeCulture supported the Organising Committee develop a Safeguarding/Child Protection Policy for a major sporting event and provided provision and support for:
- Searching children entering stadia
- Lost children in stadia
- Child protection/safeguarding policies and procedures and young fan wristbands
- Safe use of changing rooms Athletes village arrangements to reduce the risk of abuse
- Extra safeguards required for disabled athletes
- Vetting and checking – including security for stewards and event staff
The Organising Committee ran a successful major event with the correct safeguarding provision in place.
International Safeguarding Training
LimeCulture was commissioned to undertake a training needs analysis and design, deliver and evaluate a safeguarding workforce development programme for a major sport in China. The expert team worked closely with the organisation and devised a workforce development plan which has seen significant improvements in staff, volunteer and contractor knowledge, skills and behaviours in safeguarding. Thereafter the organisation reported an increase in referrals which enabled them to better manage safeguarding risk within the organisation and to feel confident in their skills and abilities.